Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sketch Book - Values Notans

Last week while at my workshop with Kim Lordier I was reminded of the importance of value sketches and sticking to them. Here are a few thumbnail (1" x 1 1/2") value sketches of photographs I have. I am trying to figure out if I want to make them into a painting. They are fun to do and don't take much time. They tell me more about a subject than a detailed line drawing does. They show shape and light and movement in a subject. They show the strongest contrasts of value. There are artists that can paint the ordinary and make it extraordinary because of the beauty of well designed values. This takes practice and insight into the structural building blocks that exist in good composition. I do not pretend to do this well...but I am working on it.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm grappling with design and comp. right now. I'm finding it difficult to wrap my mind around. I'm not really clear on what the rules are. But I agree with the fact that thumbnail sketches are super important.