Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lovely Paulina 10x8 oil

I had a peaceful painting day yesterday.  We had a new model.  Paulina had never modeled for artist before.  Her face had this wonderful expression of pensive thinking.  I think she was worried she wasn't doing it right.  
It was very nice to spend time on the face vs. the full figure.  I need to spend more time doing this.  I really enjoy it.  I wanted to work on building the form in masses and planes.  The other area I worked on was getting my flesh tone color to have more intensity and value.  I tend to chicken out.  
I had the pleasure of spending the day with some wonderful hard working woman artists, Kamillia Hardy, Arleen Kaller, Dana Cooper, Hillary Miller, Judy Schroeder, Erika and Marcia. 

6 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

Dori, you captured her regal, yet concerned posture and expression beautifully!
Fun to paint with you as always!!

Unknown said...

I think you did an awesome job. I want to be able to do portraits like this. Excellent skin tones and a minimum of brush strokes.

Her eyes are amazing. So hard to capture in this style.

Okay and I'm very jealous you got to paint with other awesome artists...

Marian Fortunati said...

Love the thick bold strokes!

I always admire that, but I'm too chicken to do it!

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Beautiful Job on this Dori! You got her expression, you have strong contrasts and I LOVE the bold brushwork. Very, very well done!

Connie Kleinjans said...

Nice. She does look lovely and pensive. :)

Karen said...

Yes, building the form in masses and planes! I constantly have to remind myself to get away from the linear! I agree with everyone too that your brushwork here is bold!
I'm finding the figure peaceful too lately...it's a good change of pace from being outside.