Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Framed Still Life 24x30 oil

I realized when setting this up that I had a theme or "series" going. Still lifes with frames in them. Funny how things evolve. I used the still life to practice lots of stuff. Scraping and moving objects was a very big part of this. I thought about change in paint and how easy it is to paint out things I don't care for and paint in something else. Change is daunting and has a negative or failure-ish attachment. I am liking the process of decision making and using my palette knife to pull me through some awkward paintings like this. I know I am not done, but for now I'm completely tire of it. I hope to get back to it with some refinements and finishing touches later or not...
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

Oooh, Dori, I think your struggle was worth it, this is fabulous!!

Karen said...

Whether it's done or not, the flowers in particular are looking fantastic! So true about change having a negative/fearful sense sometimes. I think if we work quickly enough maybe that makes changing things less difficult.

Edward Burton said...

What a great piece and title! Well done, Dori.

Carol Blackburn said...

Love the glass vases. I've painted a few of them and find it particularly rewarding to get it so realistic. Lovely, lovely painting.

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Dori,
I think it's wonderful,leave it alone. Sometimes we keep looking and changing, but this looks really great.

Marian Fortunati said...

Interesting.... I know perhaps you're not happy with it yet, but I sure would be...
WOW...

Ann Rogers said...

Looks too good for more tweaking, a beautiful composition of greens!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I really like this. Love the frames and the color harmony.