Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"SURROUNDED"

8x8, oil on 3/8 gesso panel, $100.00
I have been playing with composition lately.  I don't mind painting odd subjects to form space and create shapes.  In this still life I used many of the same objects that were in my last still life.  I added more to it to tighten up space to see how that worked.  More is not always better.  Yet I like the uncomfortable clutter and directions the objects.  I feel slightly uneasy, wanting to grab onto a focal point.  The salt shaker is pretty much framed in by shapes.  Keeping the balance was fun.  I love threes, three eggs, three mugs, three central supporting objects.  
There is a psychological aspect to painting for me no matter what the subject.  In this painting I am the salt shaker tightly surrounded by life's everyday needs.  The composition has only allowed me one escape or one entrance into the scene.   In painting it is important to allow the viewer a way into the scene.  Psychologically I always want a way out.



7 comments:

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

I loved the last one and love this one too. I really love your psychological explanation. Hmmmm, I might be the salt shaker also, piles of dishes and fragile eggs (babies) surrounding me. Really great, and inspirational for me, you gave me a lot to think about:)

Unknown said...

really enjoyed this piece. Such a great metaphor for life.

LindaHunt said...

There is something very captivating about this piece. I love the red and the shadow areas are mysterious. I also like the reflection of the spoon.

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Nice write-up for this lovely painting. I've never looked at composition that way. Thanks for the new perspective.

Pam Holnback said...

Love the strong reds and reflections in the glass.

Angela Sullivan said...

I love this. Such bold nice color. Beautifully done.

Virginia Floyd said...

I'm amazed by the complexity of such a small painting! Love the way the light fades into the dark background. Beautiful reflections in the glass, also.