Friday, April 10, 2015

The Power of Playfulness

I've had a number of wonderful teachers in my life.  All have taught me the tools I use today.  My high school art teacher Jerry Nicholson " Mr. Nick", taught me 2 very important things.  First, to be organized with your art.  To plan your day so you approach your art as you would if you were walking into an office everyday. Good advice I have grown to understand and appreciate.  Second, remember to be playful.  Try new things.  He kept a board of characters.  This was a large sheet of paper he would paint people doing various jobs.  Loved seeing these little characters go from the drawing board into his paintings.  He taught me to work ideas out and fill pages, instead of cluttering up my head.  Mainly to be fearless and have fun. 
So these are a few of the things I do to work out ideas and just play.  I keep a board divided into 6" squares where I lay down an idea, colors and practice my stroke.  Painting is a journey.  For me it's important to play with an idea and get it out.  I always like to make room so I can see where I'm going.  I know too it is important to be humble and grateful to the special teachers who I would not have come to this place without.  Thanks Mr Nicholson!