Monday, January 26, 2009

Koi Pond 12x9 oil

Painting Koi underwater with reflections is not easy.  And I can't say that I understand all that is involved.  I need to deconstruct the layers and spend more time understanding what is going on.  I worked from a difficult photo with too many reflections and no order.  Learning to edit and working with good photos are two very important things to consider in the process of painting.  
I don't feel this is a finished piece at all  and I know I don't want to spend anymore time working out the problems.  Posting it sort of ends the torment and lets me move on.  So  will I try to paint this type of subject again?  I will when I have better photos.

5 comments:

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Wow, you came to the same conclusion! I like that you took out that big reflection. Funny how that became a dominant and distracting element. It did the same in mine. I like how you softened the water highlights and made them a blue instead of a lighter color. And your yellow fish looks like a yellow fish (sadly, mine looks like a whale).

I'm still working on mine. I think I'm close to figuring out where to go next. It's in the fridge. waiting....

Dewberry Fine Art said...

I am looking for my other photos. We need to do this again only with a better photo. Funny how I was so seduced by the Koi and did not really look at all the road blocks. I think you broke it down very well and can't wait to see it. So you have Koi in your fridge.

Karen said...

It's interesting to read of your struggles with this one, because when I saw it I went "Oh wow!", because of the colors, the subject, and the way you dealt with the koi being partly underwater! To me it looks like you deconstructed and edited and put back together really well. I would love to see more of these.

I understand what you mean about posting and moving on! I have one I think I'm going to go wipe right now. ugh.

Dana Cooper said...

Dori, I really like this one, I agree with Karen's comment. I get a real sense of the fish underwater and movement. Well done!

Jala Pfaff said...

This is beautiful!!