Friday, January 30, 2009

Late Day Light 11x14 oil

I actually did this the night before I painted the last one.  It is the north facing view of the river bed that run through Irvine Park.  It is tricky to paint in late afternoon with the light changing a lot faster then in the morning hours.  I started chasing the light, which is never a good thing.  I managed to stop and commit to the light as it was going down behind the hills.  I ended up with a very cool palette with just a bit of warmth at the focal point.  This one I did not touch after I got home and it has grown on me.  

4 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

I think this one is just right! The right amount of warm and cool, and the right amount of darks to lights...nice job!

Kim VanDerHoek said...

I can see why this has grown on you. It has that dusky feel to it. Very nice!

Unknown said...

Morning in the Creek is light bright and beautiful. I love Late Day because it has such a solemn and contemplative mood. So lovely.

Jala Pfaff said...

I like this a lot. It's very quiet, restful. Beautiful